Submitted: 07-30-2012 by Pete

I decided to write initial review of Swift Keewaydin 16 canoe based on my initial impressions. I have 10 years of canoeing background and this is my second canoe. My first canoe is MR Explorer rx and I keep it for whitewater and mixed water usage and for duck hunting.

I bought the Keewaydin 16 for flatwater canoeing both as tandem and solo usage tandem canoeing being more frequent usage. Keewaydin 16 fulfills these criteria wonderfully. It is fast flatwater canoe having enough primary stability. It turns enough well especially if you tilt canoe gently to outer side of curve.

This canoe does not catch windage very much. Bow is quite high but in center and stern positions side are quite low. The Keewaydin 16 is fast canoe. In stiff head winds it is capable to maintain approximately 6 km/h speed. In other wind direction speed is 6.5 - 8.0 km/h and you can maintain this speed whole day. In calm speed is 7 - 7.5 km/h.

As I said this canoe has low windage but also this canoe does not lose its speed when it hits to wave. This canoe can somehow handle waves very gently.

I have not paddled Mad River Malecite or Bell Northstar but I guess this canoe is one of the very best choices for flatwater canoeing both as tandem and solo. I have tried Wenonah Solo Plus, Wenonah Escapade and Swift Kipawa and I liked more Keewaydin 16. Both Wenonah are bit faster but j-stroke cannot be used. Sitting positions in Wenonah are very low and footbrace should be used in those Wenonahs.

The Kipawa was fast but not as fast as Keewaydin 16. Kipawa turns very quickly but on the other hand Kipawa has very low initial stability. So Keewaydin 16 had features that I wanted from my second canoe.