Submitted: 07-26-2012 by Jeff

Last year I purchased a Pal directly from Novacraft in Aramid Lite lay up with ash wood trim. I was looking for a light weight recreational boat for either tandem or solo use. I own a number of other solo and tandem boats (Bell Magic black gold, Mad River Rx explorer and Wenonah Rx Rendevous). However, I wanted a light weight symmetrical hull for use with the wife or solo when traveling.

The Pal has worked out well. When my wife comes along I can easily handle the Pal myself. She has some back issues that we don't want to aggravate. We use the boat for flat water recreation and birding. It paddles easily, decent glide and good all around performance. it has red topsides, sand bottom and tan interior. I really like the lines of the boat and have received many compliments. The tan interior is not to hot in the sun.

When I paddle solo I sit on the bow seat backwards, place two five gallon collapsible water containers forward and under the stern seat and lean the gunale well over to make paddling easier since the boat doesn't have any tumblehome.

I have to say I really enjoy paddling the Pal solo. I wouldn't have thought I would grab the Pal over the Magic when I new I was going solo, but I really enjoy paddling the Pal Canadian style. Trimmed with the ten gallons of water enables the Pal to handle light air (5-10 mph) no problem. The boat is also very comfortable and the Novacraft seats are just great.

It seems the more I use the Pal the more I like the boat. The boat has turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Tim Miller and all the folks at Novacraft. Great canoe!

Piragis Northwoods: