Submitted: 07-23-2012 by bmath
I recently paddled a Current Design Isle from Chesapeake, VA to Key West, FL. The trip was 1200 miles and lasted 40 days. I chose the Isle because of its enormous storage capacity. I began my trip traveling the Outer Banks in March. It was very cold and stormy, so I needed to carry good cold weather gear. The Isle carried all I needed and more. Being fully laden with gear, I was also concerned about stability. The hard-chine, Greenland hull was stable beyond belief. I actually took a few waves broadside in the surf and was pushed across the water surface rather than rolling. The Isle has one massive achilles heel.....the skeg. I have done lots of paddling in both skeg and rudder boats. The Isle's skeg is woefully deficient for its size and surface area. Even a light ocean breeze becomes a pain to wrestle. Once the boat starts to weathervane into the wind, it is tough to pull the 18' boat back on line. I tried riding a rail to compensate, but 8 hours of that gets pretty old. For another long trip, I would probably look at a rudder boat.... If you are kayak camping on a lake, or in slack wind conditions, the Isle can't be beat.

Cache Lake Camping Foods: