Submitted: 07-23-2012 by SN

My boyfriend bought a kayak package on sale at Costco, which got me thinking about trying the sport out. I got the chance to try out some larger touring kayaks this year on a vacation and decided I needed to do some research before I purchased. For myself, I am not a thrill seeker nor do I intend to venture out on choppy ocean waters so I knew I needed something that had stability, a comfortable seat, storage space and the ability to perform well on lakes, slow moving rivers and the occasional sheltered ocean bay. After months of research time and time again my search kept leading me back to the Pungo family of kayaks by Wilderness Systems. I lucked out and bought a brand new 2007 Pungo 100 off an older gentleman on Craigslist who'd bought it right before suffering a stroke and had it sitting in his basement for the past 4 years. I picked it up for half of what I'd pay for it at the store (it came with a bunch of other stuff price tags still attached). When I took it out on the water the first time it was instant love. I felt so comfortable in it (the seat is amazingly adjustable and the foot pegs are so easy to adjust even when in the water). I didn't once feel unstable, even when the water started to get really choppy due to the wind. I found it incredibly easy to manouvre and my boyfriend and I swapped kayaks to try eachothers out and although his was nice, I was happy to get back into mine. I find this kayak sits low in the water compared to some other kayaks, but that doesn't bother me, just something to consider if that bothers you. Plenty of room in the cockpit I'm going to try to put my 70lb labrador in with me and see how it goes. Definitely recommend this to anyone new to the sport that wants a stable and comfortable boat. I should also mention it is light enough that I can lift it by myself (I'm female, 5'8" 130lb)