Submitted: 07-17-2012 by Andrea

I have had a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 120 for three years now and it's by far the nicest most stable recreational kayak I've ever owned.

I started with the usual cheap 9.5 foot kayaks that everyone has started with (an Old Town Otter and a Perception), but they "waddle" and are slow. The Pamlico 120 is pretty fast for its size and tracks like a dream.

I bought a Pungo 120 this year, thinking it would be a nice second kayak. I assumed it was a better boat, since it retails over $200 more than the Pamlico. Not so! The Pamlico's flat channeled hull is better tracking into a current (I am usually heading up river on the Niagara so there's a constant current), better in chop, more fun for "surfing", better in shallow water. Meanwhile, the Pungo has a V-hull that gets caught by a current if you are paddling into it and wants to turn. It's also less maneuverable than the Pamlico, and it seems less stable too (tippy, while the Pamlico sits rock-steady). For the money, the Pamlico 120 is just a superior boat. May not have all the bells and whistles, but it's safe, dependable and fast.