Submitted: 07-16-2012 by Paul

I've owned my Yukon Expedition since 1998. It's performed well on Class III-IV water in Wisconsin (Wolf River, section IV), perfectly on big open water (Apostle Islands) and there is no better boat to pick when doing extended touring on Class I-III water. With the rudder kit and a retractor line rigged, you can pull the rudder in whitewater. The hatch space fits all my camping gear- cooler, pump and float behind the seat; drybags, sleeping bags, stoves, mess, tent, etc. in the hatches-which have never flooded due to the included hatch covers and neoprene insert.

The drawbacks? Mainly the snubbery when you're on trips with others and their questions - "Is that a sea kayak?" when you're on whitewater trips; and "Isn't that a whitewater boat??" when you're on open water trips. It's neither, both, or more likely, in a class all of it's own. It's not perfect at either, but what is?? I own one boat and don't need any other for the water I paddle. Come on a 4 day trip on the Flambeau River in Wisconsin with me, and you too will be jealous at the beauty and handling of this boat! Oh, and eskimo rolling? Have a good hip snap. It's long, heavy, and deep. I can do it about 60% of the time, so have your paddle float and pump handy.

Thunder Bay Tourism: