Submitted: 07-15-2012 by jstieber
I just bought this boat as a way to really start sea kayaking. I have only done some recreational kayaking before. I intend on using it primarily on the Great Lakes (Huron and Superior). Prior to this boat I was paddling an 18 inch wide skin-on-frame so the primary stability of the Cortez feels very solid to me. I noticed others saying that the primary isn't as good as the secondary and I'll agree with that statement but only because the secondary just holds on forever.

Overall I'd easily say the stability of this boat will keep you feeling confident in many different types of conditions. It will take a day or two to really get acclimated with the boat but I think that applies to any kayak. I've only paddled one boat that was faster than this one too. The speed is very good.

I had heard that the boat has issues with weather cocking and that's the only reason I gave it a 9. It weather cocks pretty easily but with some corrective strokes/edging you can keep it on course in windy conditions fairly easily. And if you are struggling, just drop the rudder and it tracks straight as an arrow.

I had never rolled a boat before so I decided to find out if I could learn on my own in this one. Two hours of practice later and I had learned a simple eskimo roll. I've got nothing to compare it to here but I'm assuming this is an easy boat to roll as well.

Thunder Bay Tourism: