Submitted: 07-06-2012 by TNZ

We've owned a Tandem for around nine years now, and have been very impressed by its versatility. I've used it in a wide range of sea conditions, on rivers and lakes, and while it is not a fast boat, it has handled all but the most extreme situations well. It's excellent for fishing and diving (I use mine free diving or spearfishing). We also have taken it on 3-4 day wilderness trips, and it's surprising how much can fit inside the hull. We got a large rectangular hatch to get things in more easily, but very little water leaks in.

It works fine when paddled solo, but you sit quite high. IMHO, it performs much better with two people in it, and perhaps a bit of weight in the hull. It's taken quite a few beatings over the years, but the effect seems only to be cosmetic, and it continues to perform as well as it did when we bought it. Virtually no maintenance - I'll hose it down, particularly the metal parts on the hatch covers, after sea paddles.

Overall, the Tandem might not be slickest boat out there, nor the fastest, but if you're after a kayak with a range of purposes in mind, then you'd do well with this.

Botetourt County Tourism: