Submitted: 07-06-2012 by durangomania

I am new to Kayaking, last year I purchased an old Wilderness Sealutions to try things out and I liked the sport. So I sold that and upgraded to a great used CD Gulfstream. I've had a few back problem so the back band was bad news, I changed the entire seat to a Dimension. CD said the Dimension seat would not fit in the Gulfstream but I'm an engineer and was able to make it work, that huge backrest is incredible and it's made my boat extremely comfortable. I'm a big guy, 5'10", 250 lbs. I fit into the seat great and with the foot pegs adjusted correctly I'm nice and tight yet comfortable. It's taken me awhile to get used to the stability, where others have said it's very stable, I've found it to be more tippy than the Wilderness, I attribute this more to my being a novice vs. the boat, I need to practice reducing my upper body motion(s). First time out in rough water I dumped it 3 times..... great practice for getting it pumped out and back into it. But all in all I really like that Gulfstream and feel I will be very happy with it once I settle down and become less nervous and jittery, we had gear in all 3 hatch's and none leaked.