Submitted: 07-05-2012 by jhboyd2
I rented this boat in Scappoose, OR and had a great time. The length says 12'9", but with the overhang, the waterline is more like 12'. The seat was comfortable and the net bags by the seat were very useful. The cockpit is quite long, but I have seen videos of people in class 2 with these. If you can ferry glide, they would work fine in class 2.

I recently rented a Potomac 12, and this paddled much more like a touring kayak than the Pelican. It doesn't track like a dedicated sea kayak, but did have a nice glide, keeping straight with just a touch of the paddle. Both lazy pace and easy cruising speed were very easy to maintain. For fun, I pushed it to my limit, and it was very quick.

The entry and exit provide a quiet ride--no hull slap. The width could be 2 inches less, but that would cut down on the max load. This would be a nice day touring boat. I would want to stretch my legs every two hours, but that would be true in any kayak. It has an unbeatable combination of sub-50 lb. weight, speed, comfort and price. The flattish bottom would not be ideal in severe weather, but it is not designed for that, and the soft chines give a secure feel in average waves.

I am seriously considering adding one of these to my fleet as I want a fast solo rec kayak.

Kayak Covers of Charleston: