Submitted: 07-05-2012 by CC4036

After some research, my brother in law and I purchased the Swifty from Dick's. It was on sale at a good price plus a discount on paddles as well. Although it felt like a marathon making the purchase. Sales person said this is the best selling, probably the price. I did notice that several of the Swifty's had the dent it the hull, attempted to force it back out to no avail. I'm not sure what the deal is with that, but we bought ones that were dent free.

I'm a relative rookie at kayaking so we took them out to a nearby desert lake. They are easy to transport and very stable when entering. The lake had a slight breeze and some chop. We stayed mainly near the shoreline and only hit a bit of powerboat and jetski wake. Handled this no problem. We paddled for about 3 hours, no drifting with a current here. Seat was great never felt un-comfortable. It also tracked very straight.

The Swifty was sluggish at times. Into a wind was noticeable, but, what Kayak doesn't have a problem with this. I would say "sluggish" wouldn't be much of an issue on a flowing stream or river. I'm not into speed, so I do not care. This is a great fitness yak, as you can work as hard, or leisurely, as you want. I'm a tweener. I did notice very minor yawing as I paddled, but this was my technique more than anything. Once I made adjustments, no problem. It handled and manuevered as advertised for a smaller kayak. Turned when and where I wanted it.

What you get in the Swifty in this price range would be very hard to match. Don't expect a Beamer, but this is a solid Toyota.
Next week going to the lower Salt to try the Swifty out on a fairly easy "river."