Submitted: 07-03-2012 by trvlrerik
Purchased Tsunami 165 for its carrying capacity as a pack mule on trips. I loaded it up for a test trip on the worst day possible, 30 mph winds on a busy lake the weekend before the 4th of July (loaded with power boats). The boat did not disappoint me.

I did not order a rudder, and the boat tracked like it was on rails, edging and paddling pointed it with very little effort. I un-balasted the boat with just me (210lbs) and went out again, still very little wind cocking in this high volume boat. Overall very controllable.

It does not turn on a dime but is pretty nimble for a mid length boat. Its speed was pretty average for a boat of this length, with a decent glide. I decided to throw caution to the winds and see if I could self rescue and did a wet exit, I was able to easily do a cowboy rescue (due to the large hatch), it is a wide boat, and very stable, I did not attempt a roll as I was without a skirt.

The back band style seat may not suit some people as you cannot rely on it to rest back on during a restful paddle, you do have to maintain your own posture, but it does allow full rotation and movement and is very adjustable for comfort.

Not a boat for a 3 hour trip, but a good boat for an 8 hour trip with a lot of stuff.

Swift Canoe & Kayak: