Submitted: 06-29-2012 by AntTheKnee

Wow!! I don't mean to sound too enthusiastic but I went to Pelican Sports in Morris Hills, New Jersey to buy a OK Malibu Two XL. On my way out of the store I noticed the Tribe 13.5 tucked into the back corner. I inquired about this kayak to the sales rep (Jim), who was very very helpful by the way and he told me that is was Perception's answer to the OK Malibu Two XL. Upon closer inspection I noticed the apparent build quality of this boat was excellent. The hull was shaped in such a way that made it feel sturdier and less likey to warp under heat and pressure whereas the OK Malibu Two XL's hull was flat in the front quarter making it susceptible to warp. In fact the model that was on display at the time WAS slightly warped and it hadn't even left the store yet!!

I have nothing against OK and have heard nothing but positive reviews about them. However I believe that the Perception Tribe 13 is the clear winner as far as a tandem that can be converted to solo goes. I took her out for a day trip in the Raritan Bay solo with about 40 lbs of gear. She tracked well for a big wide boat and wasn't as slow as I expected either.

I am sold; extremely happy about my purchase and here are my two favorite things about this boat. 1) it's $200 cheaper than the Malibu Two XL!!!!!
2) go solo and take the two seat straps off and lay down, you wouldn't believe how comfortable it is!!!

I do not work for Perception and am not affiliated in any way with Perception. This glowing review is here because I was overwhelmingly compelled to tell people about it. I did a lot of hemming and hawing and researching before deciding to buy a new kayak and the OK Malibu Two XL appeared to be the best one on paper. Maybe it is a good boat, but if you get a chance to see both of the together you will know why I went with the Perception Tribe 13. Can't wait to outfit it for fishing!!!!