Submitted: 06-26-2012 by Seth

I am the type of person that over thinks every big purchase like this. I was nervous buying a new model kayak that didn't have many reviews. But I am glad I did. I took this kayak out onto a lake with high winds and very rough water and it handled great. The seat is the most comfortable kayak seat ever produced. It is adjustable in so many ways and it fits perfect. The cockpit is small and can be difficult to get into but once you are in it feels great. The kayak handles waves great and tracks perfect. I did not see the need for the skeg while using the kayak although it did help while surfing waves because with out it the boat tries to pull a 180. The skeg does shake back and forth which can get annoying and I would have preferred a wire skeg so that it would be easier to let down quickly (necky does this).

I also purchased a Carolina 14 so I will compare the boat to that because they are similar and I can see someone debating between the two. I find the Expression overall a better looking kayak. It is much sleeker than the Carolina and has smoother lines. The front of the boat curves up much more than the Carolina 14. As far as other features, they have the same seat but the expression has a smaller cockpit and has different knee braces. One thing that I don't like about the Carolina is how the back of the kayak looks if you don't have a rudder. It does not look appealing because it has this ring with a hole in it (hard to explain). The Expression has a hole setup for a rudder If you would like to attach it but it looks SO MUCH NICER. It is a sharp end and looks just like the bow.

Overall I highly suggest buying this kayak. The only reason I gave it 9/10 instead of 10/10 is because of how the skeg is very flimsy.