Submitted: 09-18-2000 by SBT

I am a first time buyer and purchased the America Expedition from a local outfitter. My paddling friend purchased the basic model and as far as I can tell, for flatwater the basic model is all that is needed. I live near a river and have found the America to handle well in class I rapids, although not designed nor intended for real whitewater. It is durable, plenty of storage for my purposes- day paddles- and has a nice look. I purchased it mainly for the size of the cockpit so I could take my dog along on short paddles.Make sure you know your dog will handle the difference between a canoe and Kayak as mine hasn't adjusted to the difference. Guess I'll use the extra room for fishing equipment! If you are looking for a roomy craft in the recreational class, I highly recommend the America.