Submitted: 06-17-2012 by Bucky

I just got back from my Old Town Pack Angler's maiden voyage... on Harpswell Sound, Orr's Island, Maine. Using a 240cm kayak paddle, the boat handled like a champ. Stability was good, too (leaning on a gunwale hardly dipped the side). Tracking was very good once under way. Not quiet as good as my Lincoln Chebeague 14.5-foot coaster kayak (34 lbs), but not far behind. I paddled out to a group of kayakers, and, after a brief visit, left them easily behind. (Maybe they were novice paddlers?)

The wx was overcast, 10-12 mph winds on the open water, with a slight chop and the occasional wake from a lobster boat. The Pack performed well within my paddling ability to handle these conditions.

Now the real reason I bought this boat: At 33 lbs, it's incredibly easy to get on and off the Yakima racks on my pop-up pickup camper. (I returned the Pack's stablemate, the Guide 119, to Dick's Sporting Goods because it's actual weight of 46.2 lbs was just too much loading and unloading; see my review.)

I just turned 65. My weight is 210 at 5' 8" (lost 2.5 inches in height already, sheesh!) I'm comfortable in canoes and kayaks. The We-no-nah Fusion, Vagabond, and Prism were on my radar, too, but I think the Pack is gonna do me nicely for paddling on the Maine coast and haulin' in big bass from a favorite North Carolina pond.

I'm not ruling out a bigger solo boat some day, but, honestly, I don't feel at all compelled to get one now after my Pack's maiden voyage in saltwater. I highly recommend this boat to anyone looking for a little "all-rounder" canoe for under $1,000.