Submitted: 09-18-2000 by Dan

My wife and I both got this boat. It came highly recommended from dealers, paddling club representatives, and close friends of mine who are seasoned paddlers. I have not heard any negative things regarding the LT, and I don't have any to add.

I am a medium sized (I HOPE!!!) paddler, and my wife is considerably smaller than me. I weigh around 165. The boat is quite roomy for a small kayak. I've been in a couple of larger boats with far less cockpit room than the LT. The seat is easy to adjust and stays where you want it. Plenty of leg and foot room forward, as well as roomy forward and aft hatches. The hatch covers are exceedingly waterproof, and I can't wait to start learning the roll!!! It's a nice feeling to know that the hatch covers in this boat do exactly what they're supposed to. The deck fittings are recessed and laid out in a logical, attractive manner. The boat is very light weight and easy to handle solo. A breeze to car-top. The carbonlite material is very "glass-like" in appearance and in performance characteristics.

As for performance....some would say that not one boat does it all. I think that this boat comes as close to meeting all the sea kayaking criteria as any could. It's short for a sea kayak, but it's not slow at all. I just did a 16 mile circumnavigation of Siesta Key, in Sarasota, FL, in just under four hours....with a couple of leg stretching breaks and porpoise-chasing episodes. Because of a high-volume bow, it surfs exceedingly well. I never felt out of control, following the sea or head-on, or even broadside. The generous rocker of the boat makes it very manouverable, yet it tracks well with little or no weathercocking. Stability, initial and secondary, is superb. I took a few wakes from large yachts broadside just to see how good the stability is. Never had a problem at all. This kayak WANTS waves!!! Easy to put on edge to aid in turns.

At a price of $1549 (I believe this is the current retail), it's somewhat of a steal. It's price is approaching that of a similar glass boat, but I think that the advantages of the Carbonlite over other plastics certainly more than justifies the price tag. It's light, nimble, and pure fun to paddle.