Submitted: 06-14-2012 by kathyshepherd

This is the first boat I owned. I am 5'2" tall and 114 lbs. I live in southeast Georgia and mainly use the boat in rivers, creeks lakes and ponds here and in Florida. I have borrowed other kayaks for two years to paddle class I rivers and decided this boat was the right weight and length for me. I saved up my cash and bought two! One for me and one for my son who is 12. I was looking for something similar to the old Victory Blast kayaks and this came close.
    What I like:
  1. at 9.5' and 39 lbs I can load this boat alone on top of my Toyota RAV.
  2. The open cockpit means I can easily carry it down to the river, placing one hand on each side of the seat. A boat with a seat molded into the stern does not allow for easy carrying so I did not entertain boats that were built like that.
  3. I also like that the boat has open spaces in the bow and stern. This allows for easy storage of tents, sleeping bags, a stove, and anything else you need for overnight trips.
  4. The dual channel hull tracks very well and it is very stable, neither my son nor I have yet tipped them.
  5. I also like all the rigging that is on the boat - the bungee deck rigging and paddle keeper are expertly installed.
  6. The Carrier handles make carrying the boat and dragging it over ledges on low water days easier.
    What I don't like:
  1. The external hull has a rough texture and does not clean well. Partly the tie-dye color having white in it is an issue but even with a scrub brush the mud sticks to the smooth colored parts too.
  2. The seat is not sturdy enough. I have seen reviews that recommend placing your floatation device behind it to give it more support but it is also a good idea to WEAR your floatation device, especially on multiple day trips - the seat gets old.
  3. My son and I are both short and so the foot braces are of no use to us.
So if Wilderness Systems reads this - combine the stiff seat of the Victory Blast with the cushion seat of the Swifty I think you would have a super seat firm enough to give back support and cushy enough to prevent butt fatigue. Also make the boat easy to clean like the Blast too! It looks kind of cool to have a muddy boat though...it means I've been active!

A better seat and easy to clean hull I'd give it 10 stars. Thanks! and Hope this helps!