Submitted: 09-18-2000 by Zac Williams

When my wife and I decided to purchase kayaks after spending a summer in Maine, I identified two criteria. The first was cost and the second was versatility. I didn't want to get a recreational kayak with performance that I would quickly outgrow, but I also wanted some time in the cockpit before plunking down $1200 on a full-blown touring kayak. After months of looking at the options, I found the Cypress at REI on sale. Needless to say it fit the bill perfectly. I also was initially concerned about the fit when I sat in the boat at the store considering my height (6' 2"), however when I got out on the water the kayak fit perfectly. The edge control gained by being able to brace my thighs allows the Cypress to turn much easier than would be expected. It tracks well and has a clean, narrow look with surprising stablity. The seat with included padded cover is also far superior to anything I tried from the competition. My wife and I have two great kayaks that so far have allowed us to do everything we have wanted (including big rivers), for a price less than we would have paid for one "true" touring kayak.