Submitted: 06-11-2012 by Stratified_nomad

I've had the chance to paddle my friend's Coho several times. The quality is first rate, but -as a couple others have mentioned- the Coho is far from ideal for small to average size paddlers.

The Coho is an absolutely beautiful boat; materials and design are first rate. I absolutely love the aesthetics of wood; there's just something so thoroughly organic about it. For it's size, the Coho is light, yet seems highly durable.

I'm 5'9", 160 lbs, so keep this in mind when considering my review. While I'm sure the Coho is one of the absolute best yaks on the planet for paddler 6'+, it's less than ideal for us average/small-ish paddlers. As another review noted, the length (17'6") and tracking characteristics makes it somewhat difficult for me to turn this boat in anything other than calm conditions. It's exceedingly difficult for me to turn this boat in any kind of wind or current.

The 'spaceous' cockpit is also too big for those of us shorter than about 6'. I would never consider trying to roll the Coho, and even larger paddlers would do well to install thigh-braces (available from Pygmy) for a more secure fit.

I want to make it clear that this is an exceptional touring kayak for larger paddlers, but it's characteristics make it somewhat limited for just about anyone else. While I'd guess larger paddlers could use it for day trips, it's less than ideal even for them.

The Coho might be the best available option for larger paddlers seeking a first-rate expedition boat. But average-size paddlers seeking a versatile boat should consider other options.