Submitted: 06-09-2012 by MN

I purchased the Pelican Castaway 116 because it had all of the features; I was looking for and a price that was very reasonable in comparison to the others. After I got home with the kayak my wife saw all of the negative review on the internet and I was a little disappointed but keep it any way.

This has been the best decision I have made. The kayak doesn’t track like a $800 or $1,500 dollar kayak but its not the worst either and with proper paddling skills you wont even notice it. In regards to storage and weight it does very well. I weigh 200lbs and I carry a 5 gallon bucket, tackle in the back and first aid kit with extra paddle and no problems.

I held off on writing this review because I wanted to see if the negative review that people posted were true. I have enjoyed this kayak and did thing that I did think I could based on what people said. You can sit side ways and cast your rod or reach for something in the back without tipping over.

I guess the last thing I don't like is the seat if it gets wet you will be wet for the duration of your trip.

Thunder Bay Tourism: