Submitted: 06-07-2012 by J.J.

I have owned a Meyers Sportspal S-13 square stern canoe for almost 10 years. I have paddled many canoes but this is by far the best, most stable fishing and tripping canoe that I have ever used. The deck has a foam liner that increases bouyancy while functioning as insulation against cold water as well as sound barrier to the fish below. The boat is such that I can stand and cast with almost the same stability as I experience in my gas powered bass boat.

The boat is wide and allows for my wife and two kids to ride comfortably along with a drink cooler, lunch basket, fishing gear and their wet bags. Many people say that the Sportspal is untippable. All I can say is that I have never had a spill in almost 10 years of usage.

I highly recommend a square stern model if you ever want to use a gas or electric motor. I have never used a motor but it would be simple to add one to the square stern if I ever made that decision. I enjoy paddling and rowing. The built-in oar sockets are very nice for rowing. By rowing, I can gain much higher speed than by simply paddling. My initial idea was to add a motor to alloy me to travel up stream for drift fishing but I found that rowing allows me to develop the power I need to go upstream against the current in moderate rivers and streams. I can't say enough good about this beautiful and solidly built canoe.

Sawyer Paddles: