Submitted: 06-04-2012 by JB

I compared the Vector 14 with other 13 and 14 foot SOT kayaks at a demo day yesterday. Honestly, this was by far the fastest boat I tried (by gps, comparable effort), but was also noticeably "tippier" than the others. If you look at the dimensions, you'll see why.

This boat was much faster than the Tarpon 140. The seat is also noticeably lower than on other sit on tops. I think this adds stability, but it also raises the odds of getting wet. It has scuppers directly under the seat. This would only be of concern to heavier paddlers, I would think. It wasn't a problem for me.

I do a considerable amount of paddling in open water, and my concern with this boat was that in spite of its speed, it could be a handful in high wake conditions, which is what I have much of the time. While the top speed on this boat was higher, I felt that the Vector 13 met my requirements better.

If you're looking for a touring sit on top, and don't mind a little water in the boat, this could be your kayak.