Submitted: 06-03-2012 by beaullieu

Like others have shared, I had grown tired of hefting 55lb kayaks and 70lb canoes on top of my crew cab truck and decided that a trailer was the ticket. While shopping for a kayak trailer, I looked at most available on the market and compared features, configurability and price. At the end of the day, I decided that the Magneta UKT4 offered the most flexibility for configuration adjustments and had hardware available to accept the Yakima bars & accessories I already owned.

The base trailer holds 4 kayaks and is priced at $1,375. I placed an order for a base trailer and upgraded to 12" wheels, a 6' swing away tongue extension and hardware to attach my Yakima bars raising the price to a bit over $1,600. As my luck would have it, the day after placing the order with Magneta, I found a good condition used UKT4 for sale locally for $550. I promptly cancelled my order with Magneta and bought the used trailer. The folks at Magneta cancelled my order without any issue and were very friendly. I subsequently ordered a tongue extension and hardware to mount my Yakima accessories from Magneta and again, they were quite easy to do business with.

The used trailer was missing the lights so I purchased lights and wiring from a local boat dealer and installed myself. I made my wiring harnesses with a ground wire to each light (rear and sides) to avoid the need to use the trailer as a ground. I also ran all the wiring inside plastic tubing to protect it from wear and all connections were soldered and sealed in both liquid tape and plastic electrical tape. The lights work great. I also inspected and re-greased the wheel bearings before putting the trailer in service.

So, how is it performing? Over Memorial Day weekend, I used the trailer to transport 3 kayaks on a 250 mile trip and it performed just fine. The trailer tracked well behind my truck and felt stable with the 3 kayaks on board. I really appreciated the load height of the trailer compared to the roof of my truck when loading and unloading. It is also a lot easier to strap down the kayaks when they are within easy reach. In my opinion, the trailer is well made and can be reconfigured easily using a variety of components available from Magneta.

There are a couple of reviews that mentioned issues with wheel bearing failures right out of the box but since mine was purchased used, I couldn't comment on what a new purchase experience might be like. But, it is always best to check bearings before use just in case and if I had purchased new, I would have checked the grease and made sure they were tightened appropriately on the spindles before using. Also, there were complaints about the lighting being very basic. On this issue, I also would have upgraded the basics to what I did on my used version.

If you are considering buying a new Magneta UKT4, here are my closing thoughts:

• This trailer will do the job and is well made for its intended usage
  • Customer Service at Magneta is friendly and helpful
  • Since you have to assemble it yourself, check the grease and tightness of the wheel bearings and install your lighting properly – upgrade the wiring harness to ensure they keep working.
  • If you are not handy and don't have the ability to deal with the wheel bearings and lighting, you might find these items to be a potential issue. If you are handy, put it together with these items in mind and you will have a very solid and useful trailer
Last thought…
Shop Craig's List for a used one and save a ton of dough….