Submitted: 06-01-2012 by bonz

I looked at the Looksha IV years ago when I purchased my first kayak (a Perception Catalina). I opted for the Catalina due to just getting into kayaking and a 17' sea kayak was a bit intimidating. Years later, an opportunity arose to paddle/purchase a used Looksha IV. I had been looking at advancing to a larger boat and larger water so why not try the boat. OH MY! Why did I wait?

It was a bit strange at first, getting used to the length, the rudder, and yes the handling. Mine has the hard seat and high back. It does react to wind but is well compensated by the rudder (once you figure out how to use a rudder). In rougher water, it handles like a dream. Response is almost effortless and it is a speed demon, getting you out of the trouble spots quickly.

This boat is ten years old, well used, but rock solid. I would suggest if you want to advance your skills and upgrade your ride, getting a well maintained used Looksha IV will save you money but will still provide many hours of happy paddling.