Submitted: 06-01-2012 by BKW

I'm still a rookie on the water with only a few hundred miles under my belt, a bit over 100 with this yak on a class I river. I totally agree with the one reviewer who mentioned this boat doesn't rest well, as soon as you stop paddling it wants to cock to one side or the other: but that makes you paddle and I like that. Also it has forced me to improve my paddling form, it doesn't tolerate lazy strokes and I find it is much happier with a high angle stroke where as touring/low angle strokes result in a lot of side to side movement.

Compared to my Eagle Run 12' this thing would be a horrible idea for a fishing kayak - it's initial stability is far lower, though it's secondary is solid. You could fish from it but if that's your primary purpose for the yak look else where.

I've found the Spectrum to be a bit temperamental, but again that's forced me to learn to use my hips to handle it and has allowed me to start leaning into and out of turns.

I see a lot of suggestions for this as a beginner yak and I agree if the person wants to learn to handle a touring boat, but I see a lot of casual folks with stickers on their paddles which are proudly held upside down - they should definitely look elsewhere.

For a beginner looking to get seriously into the sport it's an awesome kayak. I know I will outgrow it eventually and likely wind up with purpose boats for whitewater and ocean - but I doubt I will ever let my Spectrum go.