Submitted: 05-29-2012 by MZP

I've had my plastic Skerray since 2005. It was my first sea kayak. I wanted something affordable, robust and stable. I've not been disappointed. I've had the boat out in winds up to force 6 and waves 2 m high and it was a joy.

The boat has stood up well to some fairly arduous use, but there is one thing I would recommend checking if you are about to buy a secondhand Skerray: the hatch rims. On my boat these are black plastic items bonded to the yellow polyethylene of the hull. The rim of my front hatch has cracked where the vertical part meets the horizontal part. It's a hairline crack, but it means that water does get in if I'm taking water over the bow. Options for fixing it are either plastic welding or cutting the top of the old rim off and bolting a new one on. I've not been sufficiently troubled to do either as yet.

The only other problem I've had was the hatch covers, which perished more rapidly than I expected. Keep them out of the sun as much as possible!

All in all, I'd say a good first boat, especially if you're on a budget. Comparable in many ways to a plastic Capella.

Thunder Bay Tourism: