Submitted: 05-18-2012 by pikabike

Nope, this isn't a manufactured item, but it's such a great food--an unsung one--that I have to review it here as a paddler's take-along.

High protein, contain "good fats", almost zero carb content, lightweight, no refrigeration needed, and they taste good. They are higher in protein than any other nut-type food I can think of except maybe soybeans (which I don't like the taste of). Higher in protein than almonds or peanuts or peanut butter.

In case your lips are puckered up thinking of the white, salt-coated, shell-bearing bar food version of pumpkin seeds, these are definitely NOT the same. For one thing, no shells. For another, very lightly salted. And you can buy them in bulk at Whole Foods.

Tote a couple ounces of pumpkin seeds along with a piece of fruit and some whole-grain crackers for a satisfying alternative to sweet energy bars. They keep me alert and fueled better than anything but a meat sandwich type of lunch. I've also found them to be good for pre-paddling breakfast protein.