Submitted: 05-17-2012 by hmbrw2002

For what it is designed for this is a top notch kayak. The Mirage paddle system is pure genius. So much more efficient than the other propulsion system kayak (which I have also tried). This is a very fast kayak and fairly stable. It is short and narrow but with the Hobie tri-hull it is reasonably stable. Probably not as much as the Outback or some of the other wider Hobie kayaks.

The strengths of this model is easy to store, transport and launch due to its size and weight. It is very nimble and responsive when it comes to turning. It is very fast. Frees up your hands for fishing etc.

Weaknesses are its ruggedness. My other kayak is a Native Watercraft Manta Ray and this Hobie can't come close to its ruggedness but that is why the Hobie weighs half as much. I would not think the Hobie would be ideal for shallow oyster beds, rocks etc. You have to be very careful with the Mirage drive in shallow water and oyster beds etc. I see plenty using it in these conditions but you just need to be more careful than lets say my Manta Ray which plows thru anything.

This is a great kayak and for what it does and compared against other fishing and rec kayaks I give it a solid 10.
This is my wife's kayak and she loves it.