Submitted: 05-14-2012 by ben-808

Read numerous poor reviews of the castaway 116. I even saw a few reviewers call it the Pelican, "Throwaway 116." I decided to try it out after watching several YouTube videos of people who had customized this boat and were happy with it.

I got my castaway at Sports Authority on sale for $419.99. I took it home and tested the scupper holes for leaks after reading that there have been issues with leaks in the scupper hole seams. Using a flashlight, I was able to see that there were no leaks anywhere on the boat. I took it up on the Snake river the following day to Dalton lake, a small body of water along the river. I am 6'2" and 265 pounds so I was anxious to see how well the castaway would support me. The boat was rated at 275 lb. capacity and as I got into the seat water began coming up through the scupper holes in the foot well and in the rear storage deck. Aside from the wet ride, I was pretty happy with the performance for the price. The boat was better than average in stability and tracking was satisfactory. The fishing amenities proved very practical, and I was able to land several trout that day.

I took it out again several days later, this time plugging the scupper holes with rubber plugs from Home Depot. The ride was almost totally dry and I was able to pack an additional 25 lbs. of gear. I kayaked down 7 miles of the Columbia river starting north of Richland, WA. The kayak handled just fine in the at times swift current and was able to fish freely the whole time.

This boat, while not a Hobie, works great for the price and i am pleased with it so far.