Submitted: 05-14-2012 by KolosOnline

This is a review of the 15' Algonquin Prospector Y-Stern.
I've had the canoe a few years and use it primarily as a fishing platform and paddle it in between. Overall, I think it is a great boat. I have the Ultraglass model, bought as a factory second. I treat it as a tool, hit rocks, grind gravel, you name it - the boat has held strong. I have a 45lbs thrust trolling motor on the back most of the time and it moves well and tracks straight.

It is funny to see other boaters or canoeist's faces as they don't know what to think. I'm not the best paddler, but it seems similar to other 'prospector' canoes that I've been in before (just chopped at the back). No complaints, other than the Y-Stern is a bit tight at the back and it seems a bit tough to find a gas outboard that fits it well in terms of transom height. That's not the canoes fault, it is just my desire to hit remote spots and get there really fast. I paddle around when I get there. Use with Electric Trolling motor and you'll have a blast. Paddle it when your hands are free (from fishing).

New York Kayak Co.: