Submitted: 04-30-2012 by hmbrw2002

I have a 2012 model. I took it out three times in different conditions to get a good feel for its performance. All times were in salt water at the mouth of the St John's River near the open ocean. Lots of oyster beds, rocky shores, sandy beaches. One day was very choppy with 15mph winds and the other two times in fairly glassy water.

Pros: Very rugged and thick molded shell. Oyster beds did very little damage. Easy to store in my 12'x10' shed (at slight angle on wall). Loads on my truck easy. Handles rough water very well, very stable. Good amount of storage. Well laid out design. Accessory rails a huge plus. Relatively fast for a 12' long, 30" wide kayak. Don't expect it to be anywhere near what a touring kayak can do. Stays very dry even in big chop. Of course the seat. I don't think there is a better one on the market. Warranty.

Cons: Very heavy IMO. I am a very strong guy and it is not a problem for me but I can see perhaps a small person like my wife would have problems loading it on a vehicle. But the weight is due mostly to the thick polyethylene material. One of the three times I went out and I was having a hard time keeping up with the fiberglass touring kayak and my AE tandem blow up. Both those kayaks are very fast and the MR is a fishing kayak that is only 12'. I was not that far behind and I also was saddled with carrying a huge cooler full of ice and drinks. The MR is definitely a workhorse. I have a rudder so tracking was not an issue. I don't really have any other negatives.

I was going to give it an 8 but then I realized that this is a rugged fishing kayak and I rated it a 10 amongst other fishing kayaks I have tried like Malibu, OK, Hobie(10 also), and WS(Tarpon). You can't really judge this kayak with touring or other types of kayaks bc that is not its purpose.

Bottom line. Great kayak that I would recommend to anyone who wants a recreational/fishing kayak.