Submitted: 04-17-2012 by MTBME

I have owned a Tempest Pro 165 for 6 yrs. and loved it so much I bought a second Tempest (used). I keep one on my dock, and the 2nd on my kayak trailer so I can hook up and go to all the beautiful lakes in our area easily and at a moments notice. I am 58 yrs. old and not as strong a paddler as I used to be, but I feel so solid in my boat in windy conditions, I still take on some big waters and big winds.

The low deck and skeg allow me to slice the water easily, and it turns on a dime when I put it on edge. It is so responsive and I feel one with the boat. I have some lower back issues, but the seat system provides comfort, so I can paddle for hours without pain.

One of my favorite places to paddle in the area is a flowage that covers 15,300 acres with 223 miles of mostly undeveloped shoreline. The flowage is dotted with 140 islands. It is a huge playground for a paddler, so I spend hours out there investigating, and smiling. There are some good size crossings which can be tricky on a windy day, but the Tempest handles it so well. A friend borrowed my 2nd boat a few times, and was in awe with its performance compared to her boat.