Submitted: 04-15-2012 by piscisergosum

About Me: I am 5'11" 280 lbs. I consider myself an avid paddler with advanced experience and a beginners budget. I mainly fish, bird watch, and camp out of my Odyssey 15T. I mainly paddle on my knees. I mostly paddle solo from the rear seat facing backwards (this helps balance the boat). I have paddled many small creeks to the Mississippi River, closed mangrove swamps to open reservoirs, and even participated in several 10 mile plus races (usually finishing toward the rear). This is my fourth canoe, second Mohawk. I bought this boat mainly to paddle solo with my kid up front as ballast.

About my Odyssey 15T: This boat is six years old, Royalex, tandem setup. What I love about this boat is it is light and easy to get on and off the water all by myself. When I get home from work I can toss it on the car at a whim and be fishing in 30min. It has very good secondary stability which scares newbies but gives me confidence in sketchy situations. It has never flipped (honestly). It has enough room for me, my fishing gear, and liberal comforts on camping trips with the kid. On rare occasions when the wife does come along I have the tandem option which keeps her happy. This boat is very quiet for birdwatching and wildlife viewing. It excels in sloughs and mangroves hidden from the wind, stalking Redfish or Ivory Bill Woodpeckers. The nylon weave seats are very durable and comfortable facing either direction.

At $900 new this boat was a good buy. This boat is not fast! In flat water I average 2.8 mph. It tracks a little on the poor side so you spend a lot of time correcting course. A J-Stroke just isn't enough, you will have to crossover if you want to go any distance fast. It also has some flex in the hull that absorbs the energy of your stroke rather than pushing your boat forward.

This boat is "tippy" to the inexperienced paddler. A friend of mine got out of her Old Town Discovery 169 and was scared to death at the lack of primary stability in the Odyssey 15T. My biggest complaint is that, after six years, the outer layer of Royalex cracked. I have decided to live with it. It does not track as straight as a 17' speed demon, nor does it have the stability of a fat 14' sportster. If you have a low budget and want one boat that does a good job at everything then this is good choice. I have not regretted my purchase.