Submitted: 09-11-2000 by David Kurnik

The cypress strikes a balance between performance and practicality. My expected uses where in exercise, and day touring, on flat water and some mild rivers around my home. I also wanted a Kayak that I could use to develop a wide range of kayaking skills. I am very pleased with my choice. The boat is easy to handle, store, transport by myself, and at $599 I got a the performance normally associated with much costlier designs. It tracks well and cuts cleanly through the water efficiently holding onto your hard paddled forward momentum. I was surprised at it's maneuverability as well. Though not fantastic through normal paddle strokes I found I could swing the entire kayak around with a few special strokes. The kayak is short enough I would choke up on one end of the paddle, and with long end, lean forward and swing the boat around with mostly horizontal paddle strokes near the bow.

I sat in a Cypress in REI before I made my purchase, and I was concerned with how little room there appeared to be for my legs (I am a big guy-250lb), and almost did not purchase the Cypress for this reason. Though the other boats I sat in appeared to provide little or no ability to brace against the hull for control. When I hit the lake with the boat I was pleased to discover that the buoyancy of the craft altered the shape slightly than on the flat surface of REI's sales floor (duh!) and that I had what amounts to a perfect fit. The snug fit allows me to control and steer the kayak with a great deal of leverage. I can really feel this boat like it is a part of me. I know have the right boat when it is time to start practicing my roll--which will be soon.

In my purchase, technical development was more important to me than stability, but it looks like I got a stable boat in the bargain anyway. I am amazed I did not dump the kayak at least once with the angles I leaned into. During one of these turns I was paddling and leaning on the outside of a turn when I pulled/leaned too far started to take on water into the cockpit. I instinctively sucked my center of gravity down and center and it came to without a hint of rolling. I took in over a gallon of water. It took weeks of research for me to choose my boat. It was a long time coming but I feel like the time invested really paid off and I got exactly what I wanted. I have noticed that most reviews by owners are positive, particular in this forum. Perhaps it is just difficult not have to have a good time paddling no matter the boat or water.

Kayalu: