Submitted: 04-11-2012 by dkayll

I received a Penobscot 17 in Royalex for my 40th birthday... and have never looked back. A perfect multi-use canoe for this Canadian. I have spent hours on my own on flat water cruising around lakes (midnight is a great time to see the stars), I have tripped with two kids and my wife, and have done some river running, without complaint - except for two minor issues:
  1. The inside surface is a slick as ice when wet, so you need to install pads to prevent sliding all over the place in rain or rapids. An easy fix.
  2. The standard middle yoke is not comfortable for portaging more than a short distance. Again an easy fix by replacing with a quality one.
Excellent stability, especially secondary, makes for easy solo work with a longer paddle. And I don't worry about the kids bashing into things - a perfect boat in which they can learn the art of paddling.