Submitted: 04-10-2012 by michael deleon

I bought a slightly older Comet 8.5 footer a while back and sold it soon after. I wanted a shorter boat so I could throw it in the back of my pickup and this kayak is light, around 36 pounds and it easy to pick up, but, the cockpit rim has very sharp edges which make it uncomfortable to carry by hand or on your shoulder. I would use a piece of pipe insulation as a cushion for the shoulder.

The cockpit is a bit small for me, 6' 200lbs but the boat is wide and stable. The main problem for me was it didn't cut through the water very well. The shape of the bow doesn't work well for going up stream or trying to move fast. It is maneuverable though and would be good in creeks or mangroves. I also didn't like the paddle holder on the right side. While convenient, the plastic thing that the bungee attaches to sticks out right where your paddle hand is and once you hit your thumb a couple times, you want to rip that thing off. I will look for maybe a 10 footer that will track and cut through the water better.

Cannon Paddles: