Submitted: 04-09-2012 by JH

I bought the Dirigo 106 last spring mostly for fishing and camping out of. I have had it in many big lakes and small rivers. I have beat the crap out of this thing and it takes the abuse very well. Plenty of storage space for fishing and camping gear.

Last weekend I took this boat down Rockcastle River through class III and IV rapids that I probably had no business being in and it handled great. I went down a few of the rapids out of control and bounced off big rocks like a pinball and the hull is just scratched up, no dents at all. I even hit one boulder strait on at high speed and the nose did not crumble. The wind is an issue. I paddle with a friend that has a Pungo 10 and I can't keep up with him in a headwind. It can also be a very wet boat, a skirt is a must in windy or choppy water of any kind. Another friend paddles a Necky Rip, he never gets wet.

All in all, I would recommend this boat for any one wanting a great fishing kayak. One thing I really hate is the drain hole in the cup holder on the dash. My paddle drip always fills it up and its a constant drip on my left knee if the skirt is not on.