Submitted: 03-23-2012 by rick_s
Hate to give anything a 10/10 but that being said, I thought the V8 'ski remarkable. Really enjoy this boat!

This is the surfski for those of us who aren't about to hang up our sea kayaks and dedicate our lives to mastering the inner gyroscopic workings required to paddle an elite surfski. The V8 is stable. You aren't used to seeing that word next to the word surfski so it bears repeating for those of you who may be thinking "he said what?" after reading that last bit. The V8 is a stable surfski. I hopped on a V8 and was super impressed; there was no "oops, oh crap" moment so familiar with the dilettante surfski enthusiast.

That stability comes from somewhere though and it isn't as fast as a V10 but it isn't meant to be. It's designed for and is aimed at a different paddling market - it's aimed at the market where you and I live...not Greg and Oscar and the rest of the 'ski elite.

In the Blackburn it's going to be in fast kayak division (same hull as an 18x). And most likely win. Besides being flat out fast, on a day with any bump at all, the under stern rudder is going to have an advantage over the over stern retractable jobbers. I think that certainly a sub 3 will be the winning mark.

It's stable, it's fast. At 6 feet, 230lbs I found it to be comfy and my only hesitation would be that the foot well was a bit cramped....but that may be me having to say {anything} critical. In any event, I found that to be entirely forgivable.

For what it is and supposed to do and for who it's aimed at, I give it full marks all around.