Submitted: 03-21-2012 by cfor9131

I have always wanted to get into this sport. I have borrowed craft from friends or rented for outing and used Zodiac's in the military. I knew it would be a great workout since I am getting older and don't feel like running all the time. So I found an agreeable price on a Prism on craigslist and without really researching I took the plunge. I love it. I inspected the kayak at the purchase but missed a breach at the back of the craft. Took it out into the intercoastal in Fort Lauderdale, where I fortunately ran into another guy paddling. I was really enjoying the speed, tracking and ease in handling for about thirty minutes and then the guy accompanying me let me know I was sinking. Luckily someone close by had left their retractable dock down and I managed to save the Prism. I paddled back to where I set off after dumping all the water. What took thirty to get out paddling with my new friend took five to get back, as I rounded a corner I looked back and saw this guy 3-4 hundred meters back paddling like hell.

I made the repair myself, first bondo, then a heavy duty rubberized contact adhesive inside and out flowed by a spray on rubber paint inside and out. The process took me about four days to let everything cure correctly and I have been using it 4 to 5 times a week for the last 2 months. I stuffed the cargo wells full of styrofoam and spread great stuff to seal the gaps. I left the space under the hatch open for wet bags, and gear, installed two rod holders and a light, as I am only able to go in the afternoon and usually do 10 to 12 miles each time. So I am in the dark for most of the trip. I have tested if it's sinkable and am proud to say it will not sink any more, might not be fun to paddle, but it will not sink. I have it rigged for fishing and cruising.

Performance wise, after reading the letters before mine. I have limited knowledge but I do have some, I like sitting on top, I like the fact that I can get in and out easily, take off from the beach like surfboard, and it handles chop well I think. I am taking off from Victoria station and usually fishing at 17th st bridge, and actually going out of Port Everglades. The ships and speed boats deliver a lot of chop and once you round the curve at Port Everglades, the surf in the channel (especially with all the wind we have been getting) is easily 6 feet or more. It's a rush, but I find the Prism really preforms well and I am enjoying immensely.