Submitted: 03-17-2012 by Rick

I bought a pair of Meriwether Explorer 12 kayaks from a private party. They were in like new condition. I then went on-line here and read some of the negative reviews. I almost went back to the seller to get my money back, but then I actually used one. Do the people downgrading this kayak have the same one I bought? I don't think so. I weigh 235# and this kayak supports me and my fishing junk. It tracks where I want to go and doesn't leak. The bottoms have front and aft waves (oil canning), but I understand these to be from improper storage (stacking?). So why the 2/10 ratings? I honestly don't know. I do know that these are not top of the line like Ocean and some other high-end kayaks. But then I'm not crashing through the surf and fighting 4-foot waves. I fish in the Atlantic Intercoastal and its just fine for that. And it didn't cost me $1,000.