Submitted: 03-12-2012 by SAS

I just bought my first kayak. A Perception Sport Caster. The first thing I did was go to the hardware store and bought 1 1/4" expandable plugs for the drainage holes. If they are a little loose, wrap some electrical tape around them for a snug fit. Then crank them down to expand them. I've been out twice. So far so good. I hate getting my butt wet with water that's on the verge of freezing. February in Indiana is not ideal kayaking weather.

Bottom line, I like it. It is very stable. Very forgiving. For a beginner those are 2 very important things. I was on a river with a pretty good current and going upstream was surprisingly easy. I did it several times just messing around learning the kayak and how to paddle. I am looking forward to getting out more often. Keep in mind, though, with a sit-on-top kayak, you are not going to stay completely dry. Simply paddling will get a little water on your feet. But it is very easy to get in and out of. I'm 56 years old, 5'10" and 160 pounds. This works well for me. Might even do some fishing out of it this summer.