Submitted: 03-06-2012 by wavespinner
For perspective, I believe that hybrid kayaks are, by the laws of physics, jacks of all trades and masters of none. Their best applications are low-moderate whitewater with long pools between rapids or carrying camping gear on whitewater runs. My interest is primarily the former.

Before purchasing, I compared this boat to the Dagger Approach, Pyranha Fusion and the Jackson All Water and Rogue. I've owned a Prijon Yukon but that's much longer and a different animal. In my opinion, the XP 10 was the best of the lot.

It handles the frothy stuff reasonably well although I'd prefer more rocker, harder chines and lower thigh braces. I do understand that the target market is a more casual paddler. The rear compartment should be more watertight and I'd like to see the bulkhead moved forward for greater stowage and more built-in floatation.

It ferries and draws okay, but carve and spin are moderate. Surfing is just adequate. It rolls pretty easily for a wide boat. Flatwater is about what you'd expect from a wide 10' boat. That is to say, a chore. Having whitewater boats in the stable, I can paddle straight without the skeg and don't want the drag.

Liquidlogic excels in quality molding and this boat is no exception. The outfitting is way comfortable and adjustable. My biggest gripe would be the cavernous cockpit opening. I prefer more solid structure and it also creates a skirt issue. In addition to more flexible surface, it's hard to find a skirt that will fit it and is all neoprene. You can order one from Seals. Their site recommends the 2.2 size but I found this to not mate up well. I later saw that many outfitters recommend the 2.5. IR's is probably a better alternative and adds a knee strap.

No one should expect the implied panacea of a kayak that excels at all kinds of water. But, if you have the need of something that falls within the applicable niche, this would be a good choice to test out.