Submitted: 03-04-2012 by JRW

I recently bought a poly Wilderness Systems Tsunami 145 for small rivers and lakes. My other boat is a Romany Explorer, too large and heavy for day paddling in small areas. I love the Tsunami, it is extremely stable, tracks well (I don't have a rudder) and surprise, it also turns well. Weather cocking can be corrected easily with a paddle only, no rudder necessary. However the boat comes setup for the optional rudder so if the paddler required it the retrofit should be cheap. I would recommend it as a great beginners boat or as a backup for experienced paddlers.

Two problems: first this not a fast boat, second the aft hatch leaks as does almost every other 145 I know of. I have tried several new and used hatch covers and am now working on modifying mine to include a strap around the circumference. I still like the boat and I knew the hatch would probably leak when I bought it. The boat is that good otherwise.