Submitted: 02-17-2012 by rhysie

I've had my Cetus for about 6 months now. I have been very pleased with it. I had originally planned to buy a P&H Capella RM 166 as I liked my wifes' 160 RM. I contacted my local dealer and was disappointed to discover that P&H had dropped it from their range. The dealer then showed me a demo Cetus that he was selling. I took it for a test paddle and fell in love with it.

The Cetus is a heavy boat. I own a clear carbon/kevlar hull version with skeg and rudder. I added an electric bilge pump behind the seat (as the dealer ordered the vertical bulkhead) with a pheunomic switch. My kayak weighs 28kg. I originally thought that I would only use my Cetus for overnight or extended trips but it has become my kayak of choice for day paddles as well.

The Cetus is surprisingly maneuverable with excellent initial and secondary stability. It does not track very well without a bit of skeg and it does have a tendency to weather cock even with full skeg and that is where the rudder comes in very handy. The smart track pedals with toe clips are great. I like being able to brace on them without having to lock them in place like my previous kayak.

I have made numerous modifications to my Cetus. I have replaced the P&H seat with a Bumfortables seat from New Zealand. The new seat sits lower in my kayak which I find more comfortable as I can bend legs more and fit the thigh bracing better. It also has the added benefit that my hips are more secure.

The other major modification I had done was to shorten the length of the glove box. Due my short legs I found that feet did not clear the end of the tube and I found it very hard to move my feet. If I straightened my legs out for a stretch I was often getting my feet stuck between the pedals and the tube as there was not much clearance, especially when wearing booties. By shortening the tube by 150mm my feet now extend past the tube and I am much more comfortable. As I only use the glovebox for muesli bars and a compact digital camera the loss of volume is not an issue to me.

I have not had a problem the skeg system like other Cetus owners but I did have a transport accident that managed break the skeg controller. P&H were good to deal with and sent replacement parts to me very quickly and gave me good detailed instructions on how to repair the problem.

Since buying my Cetus I have sold my other 2 kayaks as the Cetus out performs them( Point65 Sea Cruiser and a Current Designs Squall) even though it is a much longer boat. My wife has also bought a Cetus for herself after paddling mine. People are often commenting to us about how eye catching and beautiful the kayaks look especially the clear carbon/kevlar hulls. The finish and build quality of both kayaks is excellent.

I have been very happy with the Cetus and would highly recommend it.