Submitted: 01-27-2012 by sgt

I bought this boat used, having owned a Phoenix 140 and liked it. This boat is stable (especially secondary stability), is agile yet tracks well enough, is fast for its size. Also much lighter than a polyethelene equivalent. All quite good. BUT once I bought it I found the cockpit wouldn't drain (this boat, like all recent Phoenix SOT's, uses a single scupper in the bottom connected inside the hull to all cockpit drains). After some head scratching I finally found that the rudder cable had been routed UNDER the hose, creating a loop in the hose that was above water level. Don't know if the rudder was factory installed or dealer, but it was a royal screwup, and should not have happened. I had to cut the drain hose end connections and reroute it UNDER the rudder cable to get the boat to drain properly. All is okay now. I like the boat a lot, but that kind of quality lapse really irks me. Even if the rudder was dealer installed, the excess drain hose looping around under the cockpit floor made the error easy to occur.

Advanced Elements: