Submitted: 01-16-2012 by patc

This is my first review and I'm not a professional kayaker so forgive me if this review is lacking in usable information. My intent is to help the person that doesn't really know what they want.

I am an avid fisherman and my primary concern has always been a light easily portable yak that was outfitted to fish. I started out with a Pelican type sit-in with a couple of flush mount rod holders that I installed myself. I realized pretty quick that I didn't like the confinement of a sit-in so I purchased a Dragonfly Sportfisher, which is now made by Lifetime. This is a 10ft boat that will actually seat two adults. The ride was incredibly dry and stable, but the weight and length made it pretty slow for a kayak.

My next kayak was a 10' Pelican Castaway 100. This little kayak is really a very good deal for the money. It is incredibly light (43 lbs) and the layout was very good. It paddled with very little effort unless you got into heavy wind. Wind is not a friend for short kayaks.

The third yak I will mention before getting to the RTM is the Ocean Malibu XL. This kayak is a little over 12' long and close to 60lbs. Even though the OK Mailbu is a bit heavier and wider, it moves through the water really well and is stable enough to sit side saddle. I have a Pelican 130T tadem and my wife and I struggled to stay up with my brother and his daughter. I paddle this yak myself in Gulf of Mexico and is definitely a better yak than my Pelican.

Now for the good stuff.
I have realized over the past several years that I love to leave the rods and reels at home and just go paddle. It didn't take long to realize I needed something a little longer, more along touring lines but in a SOT rigged to fish. I also realized while fishing that chasing hybrids and sand base across the lake can be fun if you have a yak that will keep up. I started buy doing a Google search for SOTs that were 13 to 15 ft long and weighed less that 65 lbs. I compiled all the information I found in an Excel spreadsheet so I can sort by length, weight, etc. I came with three manufacturers that had what I wanted. Cobra has a couple of kayaks that met the weight and length criteria, but they are a little costly and shipping is another $100+. OK and Malibu have a couple of 13' fishing yaks that look great but are pushing my upper weight limit. I took a look at the WS yaks as well but they were always significantly higher in weight so I stopped looking at them.

RTM has 3 kayaks that caught my interest so I researched them as best I could. The RTM Midway, Tempo and Disco. All 3 are in the 14 and 15' range and 50 - 60 lbs. I searched high and low for reviews on the Cobra and RTM and finally found a good professional review by Capt Jimbo at http://www.ftlauderdaleyakfishingclub.org/. So, based on my limited budget and Capt Jim's reviews,I purchased a Disco from Masthead sailing out of st. Petersburgh Fl.

I took my RTM Disco out the first day I received i and was very pleased. This yak is 26" wide so it feels a bit twitchy in the beginning, but is easily adaptable. The primary stability is good as well as the secondary. This yak is fast, tracks in a straight line, and glides very well. I can vouch for capt Jim's comment that there is no hull slap. This is a quite and fast kayak. Other little perks are the rings added to tie down very options are very very solid. The molded in side handles are perfectly balanced. So far this is my absolute favorite yak.

Schitt Creek Paddle Wear: