Submitted: 01-04-2012 by robz82001

I primarily use my Sea Eagle 435ps as a fishing platform. I have the fishing seats and motor mount (both electric and gas). I modified the seats to hold 2 fishing rods each, and I have a milk crate that adds another 3 rods. So far, I have taken the boat fishing a dozen or so times, mostly in the NE Florida area (intracoastal waterway). Both electric (27 ft/lbs thrust) and gas (3.5 hp Mercury) motors work great with the boat. A throttle extension is required.

The boat holds a ton of gear (well 600 lbs worth) and it takes other boats' wakes pretty well. The boat is stable while sitting, but you cannot stand on it to fish or cast. The boat material is fairly rugged. I have run aground on oyster beds 3 times so far and have left some marks on the hull (but no hull penetration). I once stupidly brought a sting ray on board and quickly received 2 pin sized holes in the pontoon (which was later easily sealed).

The boat came with a couple of square feet of additional hull material that I have cut and used to reinforce the front bottom 2 pontoons. It gives me some piece of mind as the area I fish most are flats with frequent oyster beds. The best features of this boat is its portability. I throw it on top of my FJ Cruiser and go.

The downsides:
1) it does take 2 people about 30-35 minutes to get fully set-up and rigged (that's with a motor), 2) the hull material could be thicker, 3) cannot stand in it to fish.

The upsides:
1) portability & lightweight, 2) ability to carry a lot of gear, 3) reasonably rugged.

I purchased the sail kit with the boat and can say it was not worth the $ nor effort. You need to add skegs and put mast together...takes a bit of time...and sailing experience is adequate at best. This is with the older style sail kit (I understand Sea Eagle now offers an updated version of this kit which looks more user friendly)

Portage Pal: