Submitted: 12-13-2011 by bobbyonoahu

My daughter (5'3" skinny 15 year old) is in search of a new kayak and we are renting several kayaks to find the perfect match. We were suckered by the salesman to give this boat a try. This weekend we rented a Scupper Pro and a Scrambler NZ. (New Zealand) My daughter took the Scupper Pro out for about 2 minutes and returned to shore and parked it. She said it was tipsy and could not maneuver.

I am 5'10" 220 pounds and have been paddling for 7 years. I immediately took the Scupper Pro out for a paddle and found out, YES! this boat is very tipsy and would be a great boat for flat water and long distance trips with NO wind or chop. On the ocean this boat follows the current and requires a tremendous amount of work. It follows a straight line to a fault. Without a full head of steam and a rudder, it will not turn. Any wind at all and your off like a plastic bag in a parking lot. I would not suggest fishing on this boat.

If you want this boat, Rent it first. If you are used to paddling a long touring kayak, this may be a great kayak. If you want to have fun for 5 or 6 hour in the ocean, NO. We all spent the rest of the day taking turns enjoying the Scrambler.