Submitted: 12-08-2011 by Eben

I have had this kayak now for 6 months, taking it out every sunday for a few hours. I am a beginner in the truest sense. From my vantage point it is a perfect starter for kayak fishing. Without any experience/training I managed to get out on the water, have never tipped over, even in 2 feet swells on Lake Lewisville (TX), have had no problems getting out of the way of speeding boats and comfortably fish using one or two rods. I am planning on adding a Scotty Fishrod holder and maybe a fishfinder when I can afford it.

When it gets closer to summer I plan on taking it out for a camping trip - I have simulated a camping load already and it easily fits a Coleman 4-man sundome tent with tons of storage room to spare for other gear. I'll need space for food, as catching it might be a challenge for me.

If you are looking at getting out on the water instead of fishing by land, and/or getting some exercise this is a very good kayak to start with. I have never used a $500+ model bit for $350 at west marine I feel I got an excellent deal for something that gets me out of the house and a few hours a week away from children and the office.

I'm sure the more expensive models track 10% or 15% better and have more gadgets but if you are a once a week social kayaker - this is the best!!!

I'm 6 ft, weigh 180 lbs can carry it around without breaking my back (though it is 58lbs) and cannot see myself breaking any part of this kayak unless I take an axe to it.